Thursday, December 15, 2011

Curry Rice/Kare Rice (카레라이스)


Curry rice is now one of my favorite foods. I used to dislike it but when I started cooking it myself, I've acquired a certain fondness for the dish. I like to use chicken instead of beef. Chicken has a subtle flavor that doesn't overpower the or complicate the curry's taste. I like to cook it on low-medium so the potatoes turn out chewy.

Curry rice goes really well with kimchi. I like eating pogi kimchi or chongak kimchi with it.


Curry Rice

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup diced potatoes
  • 1 cup diced onions
  • 1/2 cup diced carrots
  • 1 cup diced chicken
  • 2 tbs oil
  • 1 small pack ottogi curry powder
  • 4 cups water

Instructions:
  1. Put oil in a hot pot.
  2. Add the chicken and saute untill the color's changed.
  3. Add the potatoes, carrots, and onions. Saute for 2-3 minutes on high.
  4. Add 4 cups water. Cover with a the lid and bring to boil.
  5. Dissolve 1 pack of ottogi curry powder in 3/4 cup  hot water. You can take this water from the boiling stock.
  6. Add the dissolved powder to the pot.
  7. Cook for 20min. Check and stir occasionally to prevent burning the bottom of the pot.
It should have a thick consistency.

No comments:

Post a Comment